It is sometimes hard having a friend with dementia
Are any of these your experiences?
- It’s sad seeing the change in her and I want to remember her as she was.
- I worry about what he might say or do.
- My friend doesn’t seem to know who I am or thinks I’m someone else.
- It’s embarrassing for me and my friend.
- I feel guilty that my friend is like that and I’m not.
- I don’t want to give anyone extra work by visiting.
- My friend talks about people who’ve died as if they were still alive.
- I don’t know how to help.
- I’m worried about being accused of something I haven’t done.
- I am worried that I will get dementia myself.
- I never know whether my friend will be having a good day or a bad day.
- It’s hard to hear this person I knew well speaking nonsense.
- I don’t know what to say to the family.