- The incidence of anorexia nervosa is around 19 per 100,000 of the population per year for women and 2 per 100,000 per year for men, according to NICE.[xiv]
- The prevalence for bulimia nervosa is between 0.5 and 1.0 per cent for young women, suggests NICE.
- Around 90 per cent of those diagnosed with bulimia are thought to be girls, according to NICE.
- Beating Eating Disorder (beat) suggests that the prevalence rates for anorexia might be around 1 –2 per cent.[xv] For bulimia they suggest a prevalence rate of 1-3 per cent.
- As many cases of eating disorder are unreported or undiagnosed, the actual figures are likely to be much higher. beat suggests that as many as 1.5 million people in the UK might be experiencing some form of eating disorder.[xvi]